A collection of recipes shared among friends...

2.16.2011

Chicken Cordon Blue

so it's been AGES since I posted on here last, but never fear I have returned! I am sure you all noticed right? ;) 


I tried this recipe tonight and LOVED it and for those of you who might care it is Weight Watchers approved! :) BONUS!! 


Ingredients:



  • 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces  

  • 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided   

  • 1/4 tsp table salt   

  • 1 oz deli ham, very thinly sliced   

  • 2 oz low-fat Swiss cheese, thinly sliced   

  • 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs, plain-variety   

  • 1/3 cup parsley, fresh, minced   (I cut this in half and just added more bread crumbs, because I don't really love parsley)

  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour   

  • 2 large egg whites  

  • 2 sprays cooking spray   

  • 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter   

  • 1/2 Tbsp olive oil   

Instructions: 

  • Place chicken between two sheets of wax paper or plastic (I just used a gallon sized ziploc bag); using a rolling pin, pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. 
  • Rub chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and salt. Evenly divide prosciutto and cheese over chicken; fold chicken in half to cover prosciutto and cheese and press down to hold shape.
  • In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, parsley and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place flour on a plate. In another shallow bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
  • To coat chicken, dredge each piece of chicken in flour; turn to coat. Then dip each chicken breast in egg whites; turn to coat. Next, dredge chicken in bread crumb-mixture and press down to make sure all sides are covered. Repeat until all four chicken breasts are coated.
  • Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat; add butter and oil. When they begin to simmer (about 1 or 2 minutes), place chicken in a single layer in skillet; cook, flipping once, until nicely browned and chicken is completely cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes each side. 1 chicken breast per serving.

I was in a hurry to get dinner cooked so I rushed through the instructions and wound up breading my chicken before adding the cheese and ham. This caused a problem with the whole folding technique. Because I could no longer fold the cheese and ham inside I preheated the oven to 350 and placed the ham and cheese on top of the cooked chicken and let it melt for about 5 minutes. It turned out rather well I thought. Although next time I think I'll make it the correct way. 

It may look complicated but this meal was SUPER easy and SO yummy! It probably took me a whole of 30 minutes to have dinner ready and on the table. I served it with a baked potato and green salad. 

Leftover suggestion: serve it cold in thin slices over salad greens. (I'm gonna try this tomorrow)! 

No comments: